Friday, October 12, 2012

Tropical Cyclones

I learned that Tropical Cyclone is a low pressure systems that form over warm tropical waters and have gale force winds (sustained winds of 63 km/h or greater and gusts in excess of 90 km/h) near the centre. Technically they are defined as a non-frontal low pressure system of synoptic scale developing over warm waters having organised convection and a maximum mean wind speed of 34 knots or greater extending more than half-way around near the centre and persisting for at least six hours.

The gale force winds can extend hundreds of kilometres from the cyclone centre. If the sustained winds around the centre reach 118 km/h (gusts in excess 165 km/h). then the system is called a severe tropical cyclone. These are referred to as hurricanes or typhoons in other countries.

I want to know more about on how this phenomenon can affect, impact, put each and everyone in danger so that we can do ways on how to protect ourselves in case the emergency comes.

I would like to research on the different ways to predict the tail end of a cold front and on some proper ways of what we can do to prepare for the phenomenon.

I appreciate the fact that it doesn’t affect large areas. But it doesn’t also mean that we can relax about it. We should be aware with it is possible effects.

I can apply my learning and insights in understanding the weather phenomenon, be able to perform it on our daily life.And most important is, I can share my learning to my other fellowmen and widen their knowledge

No comments:

Post a Comment